There are a handful of requirements to get started with a fishing kayak. If you wish to have a good experience it’s advisable to spend some money on kayak fishing accessories such as fish finders so that your fishing trip doesn’t go to waste.
Other items account for safety such as life jackets, bungee cords, and personal flotation devices whilst on fishing kayak adventures that can save your life even when death is just inches away. There are other nonessential items such as rod holders, fishing rods, and kayak carts that aren’t essential but can surely elevate your fishing kayak experience.
Many anglers are adamant that useful kayaking fishing accessories such as fishing rod holders, motorized kayaks, and other fishing tools can create a huge advantage and be more fun when kayaking.
Best Lightweight Kayak Paddle
Kayak Fishing Paddle
- Material: Fiberglass
- Weight: 2.25 Pound
Best Durable Trolley Kit
- Length: 30 Feet
- Weight: 0.5 Pound
Best Quality Kayak Trolley
- Material: Plastic, Metal, Rubber
- Weight: 7.1 lbs
Best Retractable Design
- Material: Plastic
- Weight: 3.8 Pound
Best LED Touchscreen Display
- Display Resolution: 800×480
- Screen Size: 7 Inches
Water Resistant Medical Kit
First Aid Kit
- Size: Small
- Material: 30-denier ripstop nylon
Best Semi Dry Suit
Kayak Fishing Clothing
- Material: Membrane
- Weight: 3.62 Pounds
Best Visibility Flag
Flag & Lights
- Battery Timing: 100 hours
- Weight: 0.01 Pounds
Best Stylish Look
Fishing Kayak Lifejacket
- Size: XX-Large
- Weight: 2 Pounds
Best Paddle Holder
- Size: Small
- Weight: 0.12 Kg
Some factors to consider when buying kayak fishing accessories
Who’ll be using the accessories? – Is an adult or a teenager going to use it?
What time/season of the year will the accessory in question be used? – Is it going to be used in winter, summer, or all year round?
How long is the accessory going to be used each time? – How long is each session going to last?
Is it going to be used for recreation or fitness purposes? – Are you aiming to use it to its fullest?
What kind of kayak do you have? – Each kayak has different fishing accessories that go with it.
How much storage do you have to spare? – Do you have enough space to store the kayaking accessories?
How long are you aiming to have the product/accessory in question? – Some high-quality products can last a lifetime whereas some don’t.
Top Kayak Fishing Accessories
We scoured the internet for the best kayak fishing gear and accessories. Here’s a list of accessories we found that can make a difference:
A fishing paddle is the most essential item for a kayaker as it allows them to travel on the water whilst having control of the direction of the kayak. This kayak fishing paddle by Bending branches is the top recommendation for kayak anglers and kayaking enthusiasts. These paddles ensure no stress on the wrists when paddling. This is widely used by rescuers and experienced anglers for their adventures.
- The paddles are made from fiberglass-reinforced using polymer.
- It features a groove that further makes it practical in luring, pulling the string, etc
- The shaft is made from Aluminum for maximum strength.
- It has an adjustable connector that can vary from 0 degrees to 60 degrees which can make a huge difference when paddling the kayak.
- It features a built-in tape measure that can come in handy
- It’s a lightweight yet durable paddle for kayak
- Customers have had minor issues with the tape measures hinge being misplaced which makes it unusable
- Its coating comes off within a few weeks of use
Buyers have bought this product for its mix of materials for the most lightweight and sturdy paddle. Buyers have appreciated the aluminum shaft that takes extra stress off of the wrist when paddling.
Kayak Fishing Paddle
The price of “Kayak Fishing Paddle” varies, so check the latest price at
During your fishing and kayaking adventures, you may want to stay stable and stagnant in one place without having to use the paddle now and then. An anchor pulley system can anchor your kayak in one place whilst you fish. It takes a big chunk of the stresses related to kayaking away. This product by Yak Gear is recommended by experienced anglers for its usefulness when fishing.
- It’s an anchor trolley system for kayakers that features harken pulleys to anchor you.
- It weighs just 0.5 lbs and it features a nylon rope with metal cleats to anchor you
- It comes with a 30 feet rope and an installation guide
- This product is made from lightweight materials
- You can stay for up to hours on a stable kayak
- It’s a one-size-fits-all, it’s one of the top recommended kayak fishing accessories
- Some customers have had issues with chipping of the materials
Buyers have found this product to be one of the useful kayak fishing accessories as it helps them stay in one place to avoid scaring the fish. This product has satisfied a lot of customers thanks to its design and practicality.
The price of “Anchor Trolley” varies, so check the latest price at
3. Kayak Cart
This kayak cart with ABN is an advantageous cart that makes it super easy to store and transport the kayak, canoe, or boat without needing to put them back into it. It’s a trolley system that is meant to reduce the stresses on the wrist of the kayak angler when moving kayaks. It’s easy to set up a design that works with almost all types of kayaks out there. Although experienced anglers might skip out on this, it does make the job easy for a seasonal kayaker.
- This kayak cart or trolley is made using metal, rubber, and plastic
- It weighs just 7.1 lbs whilst being suitable for 200lbs
- It’s a straightforward plug and plays kayak accessory for anglers
- It’s a lightweight cart with the sturdy build quality
- It’s a portable, practical and durable solution for transporting kayaks
- Some buyers might have to pay duty fees depending on their location
- Buyers have also had issues centering bigger kayaks on the cart
Buyers are a fan of this kayak cart that makes it super easy to store, carry and make sure of their kayak. This is a famous choice amongst seasonal kayakers whilst some experienced kayakers have also used it but most find it useless and overkill.
The price of “Kayak Cart” varies, so check the latest price at
4. Fishing Net
A fishing net is an essential item when catching fish when kayaking. This product by Wakeman is a retractable net that is a modern solution that most fishing kayakers depend on to make a good catch. It’s a rubber fishing net that makes a huge difference for an average kayaker. It’s a good pick if you’re going to be depending on your catch to feed you. It is widely used by professional fishermen as well as kayak anglers who occasionally fish.
- This fishing net featuring a telescoping handle is made from rubber
- It weighs just 3.8 lbs as it’s made from aluminum and plastic for lightweight strength
- It’s a durable product with a long life that is also easy to store
- It’s the perfect fishing net with a medium opening that ensures max catch probability
- It’s made from rubber which makes it super durable
- Essentially is one of the best kayak fishing accessories which provides the best value for the price
- Its hooks are made from poor-quality material that can quite limit
- It’s quite heavy for what it does
This fishing net has blown the customers away as they found the rubber net to be the most useful way to catch fish without impacting the net itself. The buyers appreciated the rubber net as it can get stuck in places and can get free with just a tug without breaking.
The price of “Fishing Net” varies, so check the latest price at
5. Fish Finder
If you decide to catch fish and especially if the catch is your feed then you might wanna secure the highest chance of securing a good catch. This fish finder by Lowrance elite ensures the best wireless connectivity during your off-grid kayaking adventures. This fish finder has a USA Map with routes already carved out, moreover, you can also make your custom route. It offers real-time fish tracking and weather tracking for the best experience. It’s a definite buy for fishermen and also experienced anglers who love to eat seafood.
- Lowrence elite uses wifi, Bluetooth, and cellular connectivity for the most accurate results
- It provides precision-based map reading with real-time sonar input to spot fish
- It also has C-MAP for the best route when on kayaking adventures
- It has a preloaded US Map allowing you to pick or customize your route
- It has preloaded 3000-way points, 100 routes, 100 trials/tracks, and 10,000 points for the best kayaking experience
- Experienced anglers have praised its active imaging using sonar for the most accurate reading in real-time
- It’s quite a heavy contraption that can add up to weight rather quickly
- It’s also quite an expensive gadget but experienced anglers deem it essential for an improved kayaking experience.
Fish finders are famous amongst experienced anglers and fishermen whose livelihood is dependent on catching fish. This product is an expensive yet useful item that does what it promises and it has satisfied its customer overall. Most believe that this is the only fish finder they would consider investing in again in case they lost the first one.
The price of “Fish Finder” varies, so check the latest price at
Accidents are prone to happen in the house, on the road, and in the air and the waters isn’t much for a safe space. Kayaking accidents happen all the time. Designed for minor accidents, this kit by NRS is a lightweight medical kit for paddlers. It doesn’t weigh as much as basic first aid instruments that can only tend to minor accidents such as bruises and splinters etc.
- This kit by NRS is a lightweight kit designed for minor accidents that can occur on a kayaking adventure
- It weighs no more than a box of tissue
- It comes in water-resistant nylon baggy to keep items dry
- It is quite easy to use, it also comes with a medical emergency guide
- It includes first aid items such as bandages and sterile gauges etc
- It additionally comes with a set of sterile gloves
- Buyers have been disappointed by the inadequate storage, it’s quite a tight fit already
- It features plastic hooks which can be the only weak link
Although buyers have been disappointed by the poor clip quality and inadequate storage this product still stands up to the task as it has the basic medical instruments required to tend to minor accidents but major accidents and it won’t be of any use.
The price of “First-Aid Kit” varies, so check the latest price at
If you want to take it a step further experienced anglers use what’s called kayaking attire. It’s essentially a jumpsuit meant to keep you dry and cozy during your kayaking adventures. It features an array of materials to provide the best comfort and a high range of mobility. It doesn’t weigh as much and can greatly improve your overall kayaking experience especially if you’re not fond of being damp.
- This is a semi-dry suit for kayak anglers even the most experienced anglers recommend this for utmost dryness
- It’s a neck-to-toe suit with numerous materials such as latex in cuffs and Hydrus for three-layer water resistance
- It also features neoprene for comfort in the neck as well as nylon and polyester for the best comfort
- It weighs just 3.62 lbs which might be a tad bit greater than the average weight of clothes
- This product ensures dryness throughout the whole experience
- This semi-dry suit provides no limitation in mobility
- It offers a comfortable experience and can be washed easily
- It’s one of the most pricey accessories for kayaking
This semi-dry suit does what it promises but most buyers argue that it’s quite a bit of overkill fishermen on the other hand find it super handy for their job.
Kayak Fishing Clothing
The price of “Kayak Fishing Clothing” varies, so check the latest price at
Sometimes the right time to kayak can be quite early or late or even a bit into the open. In such cases, for safety reasons, it’s advisable to invest in a reflective flag with lights to remain visible. It can come in handy especially if you were to find yourself in a stranded situation. This flag comes with a light that can be powered for up to 100 hours using AA batteries. This flag from YakAttack is considered a viable solution for kayak anglers.
- It’s a day and night visibility flag for kayakers that stands at 48 inches
- This flag features a 100-hour LED life and comes with AA batteries
- This flag features high quality strong and durable hardware and mounts for the best fitment
- This product is waterproof which can take the most beating that your kayaking adventure has to offer
- It’s made from lightweight reinforced fiberglass mast that ensures max longevity
- It’s rated as an overpriced solution by the users
Buyers have appreciated the high-quality build and the sturdy mast that ensures visibility at any given time. It’s rated as the best solution for nighttime kayaking adventures.
Flag & Lights
The price of “Flag & Lights” varies, so check the latest price at
This product is a no-brainer for any kayaker. Even if you’re an experienced kayaker you might find yourselves reaching for the next best thing in desperate situations. This life jacket by NRS features a soft plush fit whilst weighing about as much as a normal jacket. It is a unisex jacket that can fit most adults irrespective of their body shape and size. It weighs just 1.81 lbs which don’t make any difference. This product has been rated as the safest jacket by the US Coast guard which goes to show its practicality.
- This product is a soft plush fit foam lifejacket
- The jacket weighs just 1.81 lbs making it a lightweight kayaking accessory
- It has multiple adjustment points for the best fit as it’s one size for all
- It’s a unisex product for all sizes of humans
- This product is rated as the best safety accessory by the US Coast Guard
- It has 5 pockets of which 2 are big zipped pockets, 2 accessory pockets, and 1 tool pocket
- Buyers have had complaints regarding wrong sizes being delivered to them
This lifejacket is more of a need than an essential, it can be the one thing that can make the biggest difference. It can prevent the angler from growing. The buyers have further appreciated the many pockets that can store quite a lot of goodies.
Fishing Kayak Lifejacket
The price of “Fishing Kayak Lifejacket” varies, so check the latest price at
10. Paddle Holder
Paddling much? You might find yourself with a lack of a place to keep your paddle. Most experienced anglers just chose to spend money on paddle holders to keep their paddles on deck safe and sound. This paddle holder by YakAttach ensures the best setup to safely store the paddle onboard the kayak whilst keeping the line of sight and everything accessible. It doesn’t weigh as much and since it’s placed at feet level it lowers the center of gravity. This product by YakAttack comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- This paddle holder is made for all standard-sized kayaks
- It’s a low-profile paddle holder with a quiet roller contraption to lock the paddle in place
- It utilizes a mighty bolt to attach to the kayak for a secure fit
- The paddle holder weighs just 2 ounces which are considered lightweight
- This product comes with good for life guarantee from the company
- This paddle holder offers high quality and durable design
- The gear tracks for the best results are sold separately
Anglers found this product to be the one thing missing that elevated their kayaking experience. The paddle holder can take a lot of stress off of the kayaker. A seasonal or expert kayaker it’s a good investment that can further mitigate the risk of losing the paddle during your adventures.
The price of “Paddle Holder” varies, so check the latest price at
Buying Guide: Comprehensive guide on Fishing Kayak accessories
Here is a comprehensive guide on fishing kayak accessories to make things further simpler for you:
Fishing paddles and paddle holder
When buying fishing paddles be on the look for materials of the paddle is made from first and then the shaft that connects to it. The same goes for the paddle holder especially if you’re going for a universal holder. The thumb rule is to look for a durable but lightweight setup as a lightweight paddle, shaft and holder will minimize the impact on the kayak. It will further allow you to manage things with efficiency.
Anchor trolley and kayak cart
When choosing the anchor trolley make sure that you get the best nylon rope and metal cleats as these two can either make or break it. However, when looking for a kayak cart just make sure that your kayak fits the cart as some universal carts don’t bode well when bigger kayaks, boats, or canoes are placed on top of it. The complaints revolved mostly around the difficulty to center the cart to avoid scuffing the boat.
Fishing net and fish finder
When looking for a fish finder make sure that it uses at least two out of three connectivity modes that are Bluetooth, wifi, and cellular. Also, some feature a built-in LCD screen whilst some rely on your phone display using an app. Be sure to check out the precision and accuracy of the readings the fish finder gives. A sonar fish finder is a plus that can elevate your kayaking experience to a whole new level. As for fishing nets, just buy something lightweight and preferably made from rubber with a sufficient opening.
First aid kit, Clothing, flags, and lights
Just make sure that the first aid kit you’re using meets your needs in terms of weight you can be carrying a heavier first aid kit. Moreover, when choosing the kayaking suit just keep an eye out for the weight, mobility, and the features such as reflective trim which is a plus during nighttime kayaking. However, when it comes to flags and lights it’s only advisable to invest in them if you choose to go long distances or especially if you have a knack for nighttime adventures.
What should I bring for kayak fishing?
First of all, it’s essential to understand that only the most useful and needful things such as a paddle, personal flotation device, waterproof first-aid kit, compass, whistle, and emergency paddle just in case must be included. Other non-essential items include paddle holders.
Are shorter rods better for kayak fishing?
It depends on the type of person fishing and also the position of the fisherman. If you sit and fish then you might wanna go for it but if you stand and fish then a longer fishing rod might be the right choice for you.
What’s the difference between a regular kayak and a fishing kayak?
Fishing kayaks are generally wider with a central sitting position, it also has customization done to them to accommodate gear needed by kayak anglers. On the other hand, recreational kayaks utilize a sit-in design with greater agility but limited features.
What should I carry in my Kayak?
It’s advisable to carry on the essential items such as paddles, first aid kits, and others so don’t overkill it with excessive non-essential accessories that can change the weight distribution making the kayak in question unsafe. You can carry items such as a fish finder, fishing net, paddle holder, first aid kit, and a lifejacket if you’re looking for the bare minimum essentials.
Conclusion Fishing Kayaks
It is advisable that even after reading this article you must take time out for your needs and jot them down. It would be overall for you to buy a fish finder if you’re not going to be fishing but just doing recreational kayaking for relaxation. Of these products lifejacket, first aid kit, paddle, and paddle holders are recommended whereas the rest can elevate your kayaking experiences.